Overseas Optometrists

I trained as an optometrist overseas and want to practice optometry in Australia – what can I do?

  • Persons holding a qualification in optometry obtained from a School of Optometry outside Australia and New Zealand are required to pass the Competency in Optometry Examination before making application for limited registration.
  • To work as an optometrist in Australia, you need to apply for and be registered with the Optometry Board of Australia.
  • You may also need to apply for a visa issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (Australian Immigration Department).

Which Australian programs qualify for registration?

A list can be found at http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Education/Approved-Programs-of-Study.aspx?ref=Optometrist.

Useful websites: