I am an Optometrist and Educational Focus Academic at the School of Optometry and Vision Science (SOVS). I obtained my PhD degree at UNSW, Sydney. I worked at University of La Salle- Bogota-Colombia as an Associate Professor for 18 years. Also, I was the Director of the Research Centre in Health and Vision (RCHV) and I formed part of the team that designed the curriculum for the first Master in Vision Science by research for Latin America and I undertook the role of its first director. I have been a peer reviewer for tertiary quality of education programs in health sciences, recognized by the Colombian Ministry of Education.
- 2018, La Salle University’s Research Vice- rectory, best researcher in the are of Health and Sciences.
- 2017, La Salle University’s Academic Vice- rectory, best lecturer in the area of Health and Sciences.
- 2015, La Salle University’s Rectory award, best Director of The Research Centre in Health and Vision (RCHV)
- 2009-2013, recipient of Scholarship by Latin American Program of American Universities (LASPAU) in collaboration with the Science Ministry of Colombia & Universidad de La Salle (Colombia) to study a PhD Program in Australia
- National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC), Project Grant, awarded to Guillemin, G., Gupta, S. As an Associate Investigator: Jimenez, I.AU $1,063,797, AAP2015197, 2022-2024. Grant entitled: An integrated platform for the early diagnosis and treatment of biotoxin-related illnesses in Australia like Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome.
- La Salle University-Research Centre in Health and Vision (RCHV); Research grant awarded to: Jimenez, I., Rodriguez, M.F., Bernal, L., Molina, N & Khuu S.K. AUD $80,000, 2017. Grant entitled: Evaluation of human, animal and environmental health risks in agricultural production systems using agrochemicals.
- La Salle University and Tecnoquimicas S.A Company. Ballesteros, F., Rodriguez, M.F., & Jimenez, I., AUD $97,000, 2015. Grant entitled: Biocompatibility of one contact lenses multi-purpose solution with the ocular surface and the antimicrobial activity of two multi-purpose solutions.
- La Salle University, Research grant awarded to: Jimenez, I., Garzon, J., Rodriguez, M.F., & Khuu S.K. AUD $ 78,000, 2014. Grant entitled: Visual and ocular neurotoxicity in workers exposed to organic solvents.
I have teaching expertise in different areas of Optometry and Vision Science such as: Optometry and Occupational Health, Public health, Visual Neuroscience, Optical Dispensing, Evolution and Vision, Administration and Marketing, Optical Enterprises Management. I am very comfortable teaching in these areas and have perspective regarding different international approaches to their teaching.
I am the course coordinator for:
Undergraduate- VISN 3111: Development and Ageing of the Visual System
Postgraduate- VISN 5531: Development and Ageing: Implications for Orientation and Mobility