Research Title: Phase-step optics contact lens design, visual performance and corneal aberrations.
Supervisors: Professor Arthur Ho, Dr Ravi Bakaraju
After completing her Bachelor of Optometry at UNSW, Karen worked as a Staff Optometrist in the UNSW Optometry Clinic and completed her Masters of Optometry. Following this, she ventured overseas for a few years and has worked in private practice and in start-up companies, conducting optometric clinical trials. Moving back to Australia, she returned to UNSW to pursue her passion for research. Her past exposure to new contact lens technologies led her to her current area of study in contact lenses and presbyopia.
2015 - current PhD, School of Optometry and Vision Science, UNSW
2001 – 2003 Masters of Optometry, UNSW
1995 – 1999 Bachelor of Optometry (First Class Honours), UNSW
- Millodot M, Ortenberg I, Lahav-Yacouel K, Behrman S. Effect of ageing on keratoconic corneas. J Optom 2016; 9(2): 72-7.
- Ben Yaish S, Zlotnik A, Limon O, Lahav K, Solomon R, Belkin M, Zalevsky Z. Multifocal RGP Contact Lenses with Reduced Halo. Optics Communications, 2014; 319(0), 113-116.
- Lahav Karen, Levkovithch-Verbin Hani, Belkin Michael, Glovincky Yoseph, Polat Uri. Reduced Mesopic and Photopic Foveal Contrast Sensitivity in Glaucoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011; 129 (1)
- Zlotnik A, Ben-Yaish S, Yehezkel O, Lahav-Yacouel K, Belkin M, Zalevskly Z. Extended depth of focus contact lenses for presbyopia. Optics Letters 34 (14):2219-21 (2009).
- Z. Zalevsky, I Raveh, O Limon, S Ben Yaish, K Lahav Yacouel, R Doron, A Zlotnik. Clinical trials of interference-based extended depth of focus intra ocular lens design. Proc. SPIE. 9307, Ophthalmic Technologies XXV, 93070S (March 12, 2015)
- Ben Yaish S, Zlotnik A, Limon O, Lahav K, Solomon R, Belkin M, Zalevsky Z. Multifocal RGP Contact Lenses with Reduced Halo. ISVER 2013.
- Ben Yaish S, Zlotnik A, Yehezkel O, Lahav-Yacouel K, Belkin M, and Zalevsky Z. Non-toric extended depth of focus contact lenses for astigmatism and presbyopia correction. Proc. SPIE, January 2010
- S. Ben Yaish, A. Zlotnik, I. Raveh, O. Yehezkel, M. Belkin, K. Lahav and Z. Zalevsky. "Omni-focal refractive focus correction technology as a substitute for bi/multi-focal intraocular lenses, contact lenses, and spectacles" SPIE Proc. 7163, Ophthalmic Technologies XIX (2009).
- Zalevsky Z, Ben Yaish S, Zlotnik A, Raveh I, Yehezkel O, Lahav-Yacouel K, Belkin M. Omni-Focal Refractive Correction Lens: A new solution for Presbyopic. Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, Europe. Jan 2009.
The Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship (2015- Present).
Brien Holden Vision Institute Postgraduate research scholarship (2015- present)
First place in the Post-graduate Research Review Presentations, SOVS UNSW and Brien Holden Vision Institute 2017
First place in the Post-graduate Research Review Presentations, SOVS UNSW and Brien Holden Vision Institute 2018
The Postgraduate Research Student Support (PRSS) scholarship for presentation ARVO 2019, Canada.
Full 5 year Faculty of Science and Technology Scholarship, 1995 – 1999
The Optometric Vision Research Foundation Prize for the best research project in Final Year
The Hydron Prize for best overall performance in Fourth Year
Essilor Australia Prize for best performance in Visual Science III and Ocular Science III
E and A Powel Prize, University of New South Wales
Commonwealth Bank Prize- for best aggregate, Commonwealth Bank
Lahav-Yacouel K, Ho A, Bakaraju R. Optical Performance of phase-step contact lenses in the Arizona model eye. Accepted for presentation; ARVO 2019, Vancouver, Canada.
American Academy of Optometry, San Antonio, 2018, representing BHVI.
Lahav-Yacouel K. “Matchmaking Vision”. Poster and presentation at the 1-minute thesis competition, UNSW 2018.
Lahav Karen, Levkovitch-Verbin Hani, Belkin Michael, Glovinsky Yossi and Polat Uri. Reduced Foveal Contrast Sensitivity in Glaucoma. Poster presentation; ARVO 2006, Orlando, USA.
Lahav Karen, Levkovitch-Verbin Hani, Belkin Michael, Glovinsky Yossi and Polat Uri. Reduced Foveal Contrast Sensitivity in Glaucoma. Poster presentation, ISVER, Neve-Ilan 2006, Israel
Lahav K. The basics of Low Vision. Presentation at Optometry Australia conference, 2002, Sydney, Australia.
AFFILIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Member, American Academy of Optometry
Member of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Member, Women in Math and Science Champion team
Head Committee, Kids Matter Committee
Member, Cornea and Contact Lens Association of Australia
Member, Israel Council of Optometrists
Member, Optometry Australia Association