Dr Parthasarathi Kalaiselvan is a Lecturer and Postdoctoral Research Scientist at the School of Optometry and Vision Science (SOVS), UNSW Sydney. He has a keen interest in translational research in clinical optometry, having done work to move from basic research to animal model validations and finally into human clinical research. He draws upon his experiences with patients to guide the end goals of his research and has assembled an international collaborative research network. His research focuses on the contact lens and anterior ocular surface, tear film, keratoconus, ocular infection, antibiotic resistance, and novel antimicrobial agents to counter microbial resistance. Study designs include basic laboratory experiments, animal models and human clinical trials.
Dr Kalaiselvan was awarded a PhD from UNSW in 2019 for his work in antimicrobial contact lenses. He received his bachelor of optometry from Manipal Academy of Higher Education, India and master of Optometry & Ophthalmic Technology from NIMS University, India. He worked as an optometrist at L V Prasad Eye Institute. He also extended his services as a research optometrist and an educator at the Prof. Brien Holden Clinical Research Centre, LVPEI and Bausch and Lomb School of Optometry, Hyderabad, India.
Besides being a busy researcher, Dr Kalaiselvan undertakes teaching at SOVS, UNSW. His teaching area includes disease processes of the eye, clinical environment, contact lenses, Perspective from vision science, Binocular Vision, Paediatrics and Low Vision.
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Fellow and member of British Contact Lens Association (BCLA)
- American Academy of Optometry (AAO) 2018
- Cornea & Contact Lens Society of Australia (CCLSA) 2017
- The Tear Film & Ocular Surface Society (TFOS) 2017 – till date.
- Optometry Council of India
- Fellow and member of International Association of Contact Lens Educators
- Indian Eye Research Group - ARVO - India Chapter
- Australian Society for Microbiology
- Manipal School of Allied Health Sciences (MSOAHS) Alumni Association
- Alumni of LVPEI Optometrists (ALO)