The Eye Research Group at the School of Optometry and Vision Science at UNSW Australia performs research studies in the areas of:
- Contact Lenses – daily and overnight lens wear; soft and gas permeable; hydrogel and silicone hydrogel; spherical, toric and multifocal; myopia control; orthokeratology
- Contact Lens Care Products – solutions; cases; corneal staining
- Dry Eyes – tear supplements; dietary supplements; hormones
- Intra-ocular & Spectacle Lenses – vision; contrast sensitivity
- Microbial and Cell Biology – tears; ocular surface;contact lenses; contact lens cases; lens care products; wound healing
- Red Eyes — allergy; infection; inflammation
- Located within one of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities, with more than 50,000 students from over 120 countries.
- 4000 patients flowing through the clinic each year.
- Specialty Contact Lens, Dry Eye and Red Eye Clinics facilitate targeted patient recruitment.
- Advanced diagnostic tools and techniques.
- Diverse and well-established database of potential study participants.
UNSW Australia invests in major research infrastructure and equipment, and has built a world-class research environment, enabling the Eye Research Group at the School of Optometry and Vision Science to work at the cutting edge of local, national and international research. Specialty tools available include:
- Confocal microscopy
- Corneal topographer
- Impression cytology
- Oculus keratograph
- Open field autorefractor
- Peripheral refraction
- Tear osmometer